- Cancer is the leading cause of death among Japanese population.
- Cancer derives from canceration of a single cell.
- Cells exchange information by utilizing a mechanism called signal transduction.
- Cells proliferate in accordance with the progress of the cell cycle, which is abnormal in cancer cells.
- Canceration occurs through mechanisms such as chemical carcinogenesis, radiation carcinogenesis, and viral carcinogenesis.
- Abnormalities in oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes need to accumulate gradually for carcinogenesis.
- Cancer cells form tumors along with cells in the blood vessels, lymph channels, and immune system.
- If cancer is left untreated, cancer cells increase their malignancy and metastasize to other organs.
- Immunotherapy on the basis of immunological facts is in its experimental phase.